Sunday, April 17, 2011

VM34 Carbs

Ok, well today I went for a ride. As many know I have issues right at 75mph with it starving for fuel...i think. So after hearing super d took off the pods and resolved his issue i thought i'd try that. Oh shit did that bike fly. However I could hear a pinging sound with the helmet on. Also the new plugs seemed somewhat lean. So, at this point should I play with the mixture screw? I want to hear opinions on the aftermarket carbs only please. I have not messed with these. I have heard bottom them out and turn back two full turns. And should I put the pods back on? Or fatten the main jet? I dont want to burn up the motor so is it being a bit lean going to do that? Isn't that what happened to Abe's bike????

Thanks for the opinions, Also my head gasket is leaking pretty good. Is that ok? I dont want to change it right now. Its dripping oil durring the ride, not drip drip but on the case for sure.

6 comments:

  1. Pinging is to lean, also are you running super? If you used the specs in tom's book it will be lean. Kory elarged his mains after putting his in. You should be 2 turns to 2 1/2 out. You will need to put the pods back on, if not it is going to suck some crap in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too lean will ruin shit fast, Abe's bike. Also, a blow head gasket will cause lean out and trench the aluminum. If yours is dripping oil it could just be the valve cover. Make sure, valve cover=mess. Head gasket=oh fuck money and work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my bike I am running VM34's with pod filters and straight/open exhaust pipes. Pipe lenght/ back pressure is also important. My pipes are cut about 4" behind the motor. My carb main jets are 170. Pilot jet is 20. Needle jet is 166/480 P-6. Needle is 6F9. This is the combo that works on my bike. If this is TMI for you, get ahold of Al and he can give you a phone # to a dude that Kory and Al refer to as JESUS (or HEYSOOS).

    ReplyDelete
  4. so basically, handsome blaine, unfuck everything you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just buy the Holley 4 barrel adapter and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete